1993 Final Four Reunion


Favorite Quotes

"It's the hard that makes it great!".....Stephanie

"Win in three - with motrin" ....... Chris

"The key to this match is __________ & ____________."

(you guessed it -- passing & serving) -- Carol

Also "The Road to the Final Four" we wrote & drew on the board in all of our pre-game meetings. -- Carol

"POINT, COUGARS!" I almost forgot about our fans hollering this out every time we scored! -- Carol

"We're gonna win!!" Chris and I both looked at each other after the 3rd point of the first set of the UCLA game and said this in unison. It still makes me giggle. Laura


Favorite Memories

I remember being in Hawaii. We were on our way back to Laie after being in Honolulu. Char had to go to the bathroom so bad that she had to get out of the van to go - about 5 miles before we got there.


I have a couple of funny memories from Hawaii too. It seems like we spent a lot of time when we were there driving from the North Shore to the city. We had to travel through a really long tunnel and of course we all would scream through the entire length!

Also on one of those drives we started having a conversation about what movie stars we had crushes on. Mine was Tom Cruise (until I discovered how short he was!), Shauna's was Kenny Rogers, and Lori's was Johnny Depp.

Not sure if this was the 1993 year or not, but it was pretty funny when our huge vans would come to stoplights on road trips and we would all rock the van back and forth!
-- Carol

We were in Hawaii and driving back for the 10th time from the other side of the island and we were talking about our favorite singers (sorry it's more pc now to say musical artists). I said something to the effect of "if I were on a desert island and could have only two people, it would be Kenny Rogers (1st record I ever got) and Rod Stewart (boy, does this date me)! Anyway, Carol said her favorites and then Marianne said "If I were on a desert island I would want to be with Brad Pitt." I said, "Marianne, he is so much shorter than you," and she said "Who'd be standing up!" We all laughed like crazy and I still laugh every time I think of that. - Shauna

One of my other memories was of being on a plane to somewhere and someone asked if anyone had some Motrin. There were like 8 or 9 of us who all said "yes I have some," and then started to pull out our bottles. -Shauna

And on the flip side of that I remember coming back from the Final Four on the airplane and Chris coming up to each of us and telling us to hand over our prescriptions. I didn't quite understand it until a few days later when I came in and told her that I was having horrible pain in my back. Chris told me that I have always had that pain in my back (because of my SI joint from scoliosis) and that I normally just lived with it, but for the past few months hadn't felt it because of the Motrin. She wouldn't give me anything for my back pain and told me that I'd have to learn to live with the pain again. I thought it a bit of a "cruel and unusual punishment" at the time, but after a few weeks got used to it again.

I'd like to dedicate our Final Four season to that little pill we all loved so much and Chris for helping to control substance abuse! - Shauna

One of my favorite memories was at the Joseph Smith Building, meeting with the apostles after going to the final four. I remember someone (okay I can't remember if it was Elder Perry or Elder Maxwell - my memory isn't as good as it used to be) was talking about how Elder Nelson had been watching the game and started calling others saying, "Our girls are on TV." That comment always stuck with me. I realized that we were representing something more than ourselves and the school. Steph

I have so many fun memories of the Hawaii trip -- it seems like it was really a great kick- off for the 1993 season!

--Arriving at the gym in Hawaii for our first match and thinking we were late, because there were tons of Hawaiian fans already in the stands.
--Our matches being on LIVE TV in Hawaii.
--After we had played our 2 matches and got to spend the day at Waikki Beach, people on the beach recognized us from being on TV. We all thought this was so cool, because we didn't have anything on us to identify us BYU volleyball players. -- Carol

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

HEADLINES

For those who were not at the reunion, I made a display of the newspaper headlines from our 1993 season. They really tell the story of our dominating year. I wanted to post some of them.


Cougars favored to win WAC
Volleyball team ranked as high as 9th in pre-season polls
BYU volleyball team crushes Idaho State
BYU women's volleyball team brimming with Las Vegas talent
Cougars dominate match, whip Weber St. in 3 sets
Cougars spike San Diego State
Spikers club Aggies
BYU Trio Helps Pummel Minnesota
BYU spikers demolish foes, win weekend tournament
Cougar volleyballers blow out Utah State
Cougar spikers beat up on UTEP
Cougar spikers pummel Utes
Y volleyball remains unbeaten, wins 2 more
BYU spikers club Weber
Colorado State Crumbles Under BYU's Pressure
BYU spikers blast CSU
Cougar spikers ease to win
Cougars spike Utes in WAC showdown
Spikers whip Northridge
BYU spikers keep rolling, win tournament
Cougar spikers nab WAC title
BYU spikes Fresno State
BYU claims another WAC volleyball title
BYU bashes Lady Miners to nail down WAC crown
Spikers complete perfect WAC seson
Y spikers continue WAC dominance
BYU volleyball team dominates All-WaC picks as it did league
Y coach honored by WAC ater 32 years of success
BYU spikers sweep 17th-ranked NOtre Dame
BYU spikers dump Washington State
BYU spikers whip WSU, advance in tournament
BYU strikes early, often to down Washington State
BYU advances, beating Arizona
BYU spikers stun No. 1 UCLA in three
BYU sweeps UCLA out of NCAA tournament
BYU knocks UCLA out of volleyball playoffs
Cougars dispatch UCLA in 3 games to capture West Regional title
Y volleyball Whips UCLA, Final Four Next
BYU spikers are poised for Final Four
Y spikers 1st WAC team to compete in Final Four
NCAA Volleyball Crown Is Possible for BYU Women


Okay, we did lose 3 times . . .
Wahine beat BYU in three
UCLA spikers tip Cougars
Lions top nervous Cougars
Dream season comes to Nightmarish End

No comments: